A couple of months ago, Emily showed me some examples on u tube about teaching your bird to behave. She also had me read a book on clicker training (she uses it on her clients (foster kids)! Really, it does work on kids). I took it somewhat to heart and tried it on Spree. Little did I know his little bird brain could actually be taught! Now.. it may look easy on the video, but its taken alot of trial and error to get him to understand what I want (when I shoulda been studying!). He is VERY easily frustrated when he thinks he should be getting a treat but doesn't understand what u are asking. The target stick (the black pencil) was a very good help. Also.. making him subsist on heathly bird pellets and only getting fattening grain as a treat was a bit of a challenge. He was WAY mad at that. He thought he should get grain anytime he wanted.
More than u wanted to know about the bird, but here is some of the results. Emily suggested filming some of it... like on You tube. (this is for u Birgit!)
First.. the retrieve. He always liked to play with the red hair tie, so it was easy to get him to pick it up.
Now he will retrieve Emilys braclet as well (it's stiffer and so goes on the pencil much better)
Then I taught him to go through the tunnels.
Side view, Front view
Emily wanted to pet Spree so she made up this ingenious way of getting him to let her touch him. Last night I tried it out and it work really well!
Now I am trying to put some of his vocalizing on command but he only talks to the bird in the mirror of his cage. All other birds he now warns off. Emily thinks its cuz he's afraid that other bird will take his grain!
8 comments:
see! you can teach an old bird new tricks!
He's only 3... lets see... in Birdie years that would be... WHO KNOWS?!?!?
They live 2 be 20 (but the get pretty ugly)
it was fun to see all his tricks! Now you can volunteer at the library and show kids your cool bird. I'm not sure if you want to take him to other places caz then he might get sick!
Thanks for putting that up, I've shown my roommates and people at work! I think you should put a video of him getting a bath because its really funny!
cute! I'm still working on taming my new parakeet: Tweedledum. Ferdi died a few weeks ago :(
Can you train parakeets the same way?
Wow!! I can't even teach my dog to fetch.
Melanie!!! you've done wonders for Spree. It sure makes me miss him. I hope it helps you always remember me and Nathan when you see him though. Even when he has his annoying moments. I'm way impressed with the tricks you taught him. No longer in his teenage years it seems. Boston is great, but it's missing something...I know MELANIE!!
What a crazy smart bird! He must get his brains from his mama! Great job on the triathalon also. You continue to inspire me. (and make me giggle)
Post a Comment